Can't make it? Follow the event hashtag: #DPC_GetStarted
Date: Nov 1, 2013
Location: The Royal Irish Academy, 19 Dawson St. Dublin 2
The Digital Preservation Coalition, the Digital Repository of Ireland, the Health Sciences Library Group and the Academic and Special Libraries Section of the Library Association of Ireland are delighted to invite you to join us at a workshop which will equip collection managers, archivists, librarians and conservators with the skills necessary for ‘getting started in digital preservation’
Digital preservation – representing all the activities necessary to ensure that digital objects and data can be found, accessed and deployed beyond the limits of technological obsolescence, media failure or creator dependency – is a growing challenge for agencies and individuals in all kinds of contexts. Our generation has invested as never before in digital resources and we've done so because of the opportunity they bring. Digital collections have grown in volume, complexity and importance to the point that our children are baffled by the inefficiencies of the analogue age. Pervasive, fluid and vital: digital data is a defining feature of our age. Industry, commerce, government, law, research, health, social care, education, the creative industries, the heritage sector and private life depend on digital materials to satisfy ubiquitous information needs and expectations. But digital objects are fragile: at risk of loss, corruption or obsolescence, not to mention unlawful alteration or theft. Collection managers, IT officers, academic researchers, broadcasters, developers and industrial regulators need to ensure that the digital collections which they use and depend upon are accessible for the long-term: but training in these new skills can be hard to acquire.
This day-long introduction assumes only a willingness to engage; no prior knowledge of digital preservation is required. Through a series of presentations, case studies and exercises, participants will learn how to apply techniques of assessment, risk management and planning to help secure their digital collections.
What will we do?
Presentations and exercises will help participants:
- Understand the range of issues associated with digital preservation
- Survey and characterize a digital collection
- Undertake preliminary risk assessment to manage their own digital collections
- Understand preservation planning and write a basic preservation plan
- Meet and network with others locally working in digital preservation
Who should come?
This workshop will interest:
- Collections managers, librarians, curators and archivists in all institutions
- IT managers in memory institutions
- Records managers in institutions with a need for long-lived data
- CIOs in organisations with commercial intellectual property
- Students and researchers in information science and related fields
- Researchers with interests in research data management
Missed the Event? You can see the slides if you scroll down to the Schedule on the DPC's event page.
And, you can follow the Twitter conversation below: