A call for papers has been issued for the 1st European Data and Computational Journalism Conference taking place in UCD on 6-7 July 2017. The Conference invites extended abstract submissions for talks to be presented in on 6th July. This conference aims to bring together industry, practitioners and academics from the fields of journalism and news production, information, data, social and computer sciences, facilitating a multidisciplinary discussion on these topics in order to advance research and practice in the broad area of Data and Computational Journalism.
Submissions of both academic research and industry-focused talks are invited, on the subjects of journalism, data journalism, and information, data, social and computer sciences. Academic talks should be submitted as 2-page extended abstracts, using the template available at http://datajconf.com/submissions/extended_abstract_template.docx.
Industry talks should be submitted as brief talk descriptions, highlighting the key themes of the talk and the relevance to the conference.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Application of data and computational journalism within newsrooms
- Data driven investigations
- Data storytelling
- Open data for journalism, storytelling, transparency and accountability
- Algorithms, transparency and accountability
- Automated, robot and chatbot journalism
- Newsroom software and tools
- ‘Post-fact’ journalism and the impact of data
- User experience and interactivity
- Data and Computational Journalism education
- Post-desktop news provision/interaction
- Data mining news sources
- Visualisation and presentation
- Bias, ethics, transparency and truth in Data Journalism
- Newsroom challenges with respect to data journalism, best practices, success and failure stories